Avoid the ‘blame game’ when you manage certificates with Q88.com
Shipping operations and the certification system
When it comes to managing maritime risk, for many, in the hierarchy of importance, the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is likely to top the list. However, we can’t ignore the fact that merchant ships are high value assets and there is a significant financial implication attached to damage or hull loss.
Of course, thoughts on any repercussions for the environment are seldom far away. Should the unthinkable happen, the risk of environmental damage has to be factored into contingency planning, expediting procedures for limiting damage and cleaning up.
Safe shipping operations are underpinned by the certification system that brings maritime activities under a compliance framework. For merchant shipping in general, and tankers in particular, there are hundreds of certificates that need to be managed.
From pest control to lifeboats, and boilers to medical chests, if its onboard or associated with the way that tankers are designed, constructed, maintained and managed, there is likely to be a certification requirement somewhere. Where ever your itinerary takes you and whatever your intended purpose, you are going to need valid certificates to support your activities.
How much is delay costing you?
For some, managing the renewal and expiry of hundreds of certificates is done by using spreadsheets. For others, they may use a dedicated software system, just for tracking certificate expiry.
Both approaches are likely to be grossly inefficient, especially when it comes to filling out questionnaires. Certificate information has to be looked up and entered manually by hand on the form or entered into the system being used to produce Q88s. How much time might you be wasting finding certificate information and filling in a form or entering it into another system?
Whenever data is manually entered, there is always the potential for mis-keying errors and questionnaires containing incorrect data. Then there’s the problem of certificate expiry being overlooked.
While the IMO’s stated goal remains the efficiency of shipping, delays, port entry denial and even detention remain options when certificate irregularities come to light. How much is a day’s delay costing you when one of your tankers gets snarled up in red tape?
Prevent inefficient certificate management costing you dear with Q88
Through switching to Q88.com to maintain certificates, many tanker companies like yours have dumped the inefficiency of managing hundreds of certificates manually overboard!
Q88 contains powerful certificate management features, including:
- Holding all certificate information in a single database alongside all other vessel information
- Allowing detailed Search of expiry dates to enable proactive maintenance of certificate renewal
- Enabling Search using a forward time window, typically 30 days ahead, to plan certificate renewal
- Creating custom Search reports delivered as spreadsheets to designated email addressees
- Automatically populating Q88.com questionnaires with the latest certificate information
- Storing copies of certificates in the cloud and forwarding as attachments to emails
Q88.com is an invaluable aid for those responsible for the administrative overhead of ensuring the smooth running of tankers at sea. From fleet and technical managers with overall responsibility for hundreds of vessels, to superintendents and DPAs managing a handful, all save time and enjoy confidence that certificate management is efficient and error-free.
More than just certificate management for tanker fleets
The single source of truth on vessel information for ship owners and operators…
- Automatically complete questionnaires
- Manage oil company vettings
- Direct integration with oil company vetting
- Certificate & document management
- Fleet management
- Mooring/Tankplan diagrams
- Update OCIMF VPQ & CDI VPI data
- Terminal Vetting Database
…and for charterers, brokers, agents, suppliers, terminals, port authorities, spill response
- Access to 8,487 tankers
- Search on over 520 data fields
- Download 1,164+ blank questionnaires
- 8,879 charters clauses
- Distance, Draft, DWT, Disp, Intake calculators
- Access USCG Port State Control
- P&I club & contact details
- Critical emergency response information
Sharpen up certificate management with Q88.com
Shipping industry companies like yours are enjoying the benefits of Q88.com. Our subscribers are using its powerful features to save time and reduce costs. To discover more about how Q88.com helps you to do a better job, simply register today to gain access to information on 8,486 vessels and 1,164 questionnaires.